5. Along with unprecedented escalation , are there other factors that attribute to the shortfall?
Yes. Additional factors include:
- Conservative request to taxpayers in 2016 (to maintain tax stability)
- Lower fund balance due to prioritizing essential renovations
- Did not receive class size reduction grant ($1.2M)
- State Match eligibility for BHS project — OSPI Calculation was reduced to $1.75 million (In October 2015, the district was told it would receive $2.6 million.)
- Competition in school construction market due to billions of bonds approved in the greater Seattle area
- New city and state code revisions
- Kitsap County Sales Tax Increase (0.03%)
Our current cost estimates project a $10.2 million shortfall, which will be covered by the $15 million levy. In addition, the levy provides funding for district-wide security upgrades and essential renovations through 2025.