Family Educational Rights & Privacy Act
FERPA - Publication of Student Addresses, Telephone Numbers, Photos:
The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) permits a school district to identify certain information as “directory information.” This information may be released publicly without permission of the parent/legal guardian or the student. The BISD identifies “directory information”as: name, addresses (personal residence and email), telephone number, date and place of birth, grade level, dates of attendance, images (photo, video), participation in officially recognized activities and sports, weight and height of members of athletic teams, diplomas and awards received, the most recent school attended, and parent(s) name and email.
- the right to inspect and review the student’s education records;
- the right to request the amendment of student’s education records that the parent or eligible student believes are inaccurate or misleading;
- the right to consent to disclosure of personally identifiable information contained in the student’s education records, except to the extent that FERPA authorizes disclosure without consent (see “Publication of Student Addresses, Telephone Numbers, Photos” on next page); and
- the right to file a complaint with the U.S. Department of Education.
When you enrolled your student in BISD, you had the option of withholding your student’s directory information or personally identifiable photographs as follows:
□ Public Purposes: Please DO NOT include my student’s DIRECTORY INFORMATION including personally identifiable photos for public purpose such as:
- District, school and teacher websites; BISD’s social media
- Public news releases for newspaper articles and media stories
- School awards
- District-initiated television or other media
□ District / School Purposes: Please DO NOT include my student’s DIRECTORY INFORMATION including personally identifiable photos for district/school purposes such as:
- Graduation, theater, athletic programs
- Student newspapers
- PT(S)O-sponsored student/family directory
□ Armed Forces / Military Recruiters: Please DO NOT release my student’s DIRECTORY INFORMATION to the Armed Forces or Military Recruiter.
NOTE: Your opt-out selection(s) remain in effect until you rescind your decision in writing, or the student graduates.