It’s an honor to serve the students, staff and community as the superintendent of the Bainbridge Island School District.
While I’m relatively new in the role of BISD superintendent---I took over the helm in July 2016---I’m not new to Bainbridge Island. For six years, I served as the district’s associate superintendent of administrative services, and long before that, I was a student of the Bainbridge Island schools.
I have yet a third tie to the district and perhaps the most important: the role of a parent. My two children attend BISD schools, and I know what it’s like to send them off each morning and wondering how their day will go and what they’ll learn.
Our staff works diligently to provide a welcoming and collaborative environment, and our students have an enthusiasm for learning. I am proud to be a part of this phenomenal educational system and my personal goal is to ensure every student is supported, challenged and inspired.
Dr. Peter Bang-Knudsen
Bainbridge Island Superintendent
THE ROLE OF THE SUPERINTENDENT'S OFFICEThe main responsibilities of the Superintendent's Office include:
- Secretary to the Board of Directors
- Coordination of School Board meetings
- Maintenance of School Board policies and procedures
- Leadership and support in Human Resources
- District ombudsman
- Liaison for school/community groups
- Employee progressive discipline and due process
- Coordination of certificated staff recruitment program
- Collective bargaining and employee regulations
- New teacher orientation
- Student discipline hearing officer
- Title IX and Affirmative Action Officer
- District media liaison
- Oversees district communications and public relations
Superintendent Department Staff
Name Title Phone Dr. Peter Bang-Knudsen Superintendent email@example.com 206-780-1050 Lani Chaffee Administrative Assistant firstname.lastname@example.org 206-780-1052 Erin Murphy Deputy Superintendent email@example.com 206-780-1072 Erin Bischoff Public Relations Officer 206-780-1081 FAX 206-842-2928