Technology Vision and Planning 2015-2019
Overview of Focus Area #1: Learning
Goal StatementThe Bainbridge Island School District will improve student learning through the use of technology by providing an environment that fosters a passion for learning and develops and supports the skills necessary for career, college and life in the 21 st century. This goal will be measured by progress in meeting the technology proficiencies in the Washington State Classroom Based Assessments and by BISD student surveys. By eighth grade, 100% of students will score as proficient users of technology based on the Washington State Educational Technology Learning Standards .
RationaleThe Bainbridge Island School District seeks to provide an excellent and engaging public education that supports students becoming globally aware, civically engaged, and capable of successfully managing their lives and careers. Students need to be proficient, responsible and safe users of information, media, and technology to succeed in an increasingly digital world. The district will use electronic resources as a powerful and compelling means for students to learn core subjects and applied skills in relevant and rigorous ways. The district will provide students with rich and ample opportunities to use technology for important purposes in schools just as individuals in workplaces and other real-life settings use these tools. District technology resources will enable students to communicate, learn, share, collaborate and create; to think and solve problems; to manage their responsibilities; and to take ownership of their reputations and lives.
Priority Areas and Impact on Student Learning
1.1 Student Computing Devices
● Increase access to devices to meet learning needs.
● Create opportunities to access information through web-based resources.
● Provide opportunities to create and collaborate on assignments and presentations.
● Support mobile technologies for anywhere-anytime access to educational resources.
1.2 Computer Labs and Technologies for Whole Class Activities
● Provide current technology equipment to meet whole class computing needs based on at
least one computer lab per school.
● Identify and coordinate options to support current and emerging devices that can be
supported on an enterprise-level network with available infrastructure and staffing
1.3 Personalized Learning
● Create opportunities for web-based, online learning.
● Create opportunities for differentiation of instruction and learning resources.
● Create opportunities for student choice in ways to learn and demonstrate growth and
● Provide timely feedback on learning and assessments for students to measure their
● Provide opportunities for self-assessment for students to guide their own learning.
1.4 Science, Math and Career & Technology Education (CTE)
● Provide technology tools and resources to support science curriculum and computing
● Provide technology tools and resources to support math curriculum and computing needs.
● Contribute to technology tools and resources to support Career & Technology Education
courses at middle school and high school.
1.5 Electronic Content to Support Curriculum
● Increase anywhere-anytime access to classroom and learning resources.
● Support online databases and subscriptions to supplement the curriculum.
1.6 Libraries and Information Systems
● Provide district-wide library and information management systems.
● Provide current technology equipment at each school to meet whole class research needs
based on at least a 2:1 ratio to further research, data collection and information
1.7 Collaboration Tools
● Provide opportunities for collaboration on and off campus.
● Provide access to devices, tools and resources to support collaboration with and among
BISD educators and students.
● Support creation and storage of student work so documents are accessible
1.8 Assistive Technology Systems
● Provide assistive technology systems and tools to support learning needs of students
receiving special education services.
1.9 Wireless Access
● Increase wireless access to meet student learning needs.
● Provide wireless system current with industry standards.