Analyzing the Modern World
Welcome to Analyzing the Modern World!
This required 9th grade course examines a non-Western region of the world and how it has been impacted by interaction with the West. The Middle East is the current case study for the course.
This year, we will focus on Turkey, Israel, Palestine and Afghanistan.
- An introduction to the geography, religion and culture of the Middle East
- The Future of Democracy in Turkey
- The collapse of the Ottoman Empire and Turkey in the 20th century
- Changing gender roles as Ataturk reforms Turkey: Writing a Document Based Question (DBQ) essay
- Simulation of Turkish Parliamentary elections
- Israel and Palestine
- 4000 years of Jewish History
- The formation of Israel and Cold War politics
- Simulation of Israel-Palestine negotiations
- History of foreign involvement in Central Asia
- As events unfold, we'll move toward a Model UN-style debate on the future of Afghanistan
Skyward's gradebook is the official record for this class. For more information on assignment grading standards, see the course syllabus.