Animals on School Grounds
In order to provide a safe and healthy environment, animals are not allowed on school grounds during school hours unless one of the following conditions are met:
1. The animal serves as an aid specific to an individual who has a documented need for an accommodation from a qualified provider. In such cases, the animal owner/handler must notify the superintendent or designee, who will grant accommodation in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA), and all other national and state law.
2. The animal is an instructional support to a classroom lesson outlined in district adopted curriculum, and its presence provides an educational benefit.
3. District staff members are complying with law enforcement or other government emergency service agencies.
4. Animals are confined in a vehicle. (Please use caution in doing so, as temperatures can quickly rise inside the interiors of vehicles.)
5. After school hours and sponsored events.
6. Exceptions to this policy may be requested and granted by the school building principal or the facility supervisor.
BISD School Board Policy 2029 outlines the district’s policy on animals on school grounds.