Certain volunteer positions require an additional level of clearance. The following volunteers must receive cleared fingerprints prior to volunteering:
- Volunteer Overnight Chaperones
- Volunteer Coaches
STEPS TO OBTAINING FINGERPRINTS
- Bainbridge Island Police Department will "take" fingerprints Monday - Friday and appointments are required. Please call 206-842-5211 to schedule an appointment. The prints are transmitted electronically to OSPI for processing. The fee is $55.25 per person. Checks need to be made out to the City of Bainbridge Island. If the person is paying by credit card, an additional $1.66 fee will be applied.
- According to OSPI, it takes up to 10 business days for electronic prints to be processed. Ink prints require additional time to process.
- If the person has a record, the results will be emailed or snail-mailed to our HR department.
- If the person does not have a record they will be listed on a cleared list accessible by our HR department.
Good to know:
- Once a volunteer’s fingerprints are cleared, as long as the person stays active as a volunteer (meaning his or her volunteer status is renewed every two years), they will not need to re-do the fingerprinting process. This means, for example, a parent who is fingerprinted for 4th-grade Outdoor Ed and remains an active volunteer, can volunteer to be an overnight chaperone when his/her child is in say, Spartronics, in high school.