Volunteering with BISD
Lend a helping hand!
Bainbridge Island School District is fortunate to have an active and dedicated group of volunteers who help out in our classrooms, on field trips and with various activities and sports.
Before volunteering in any capacity, volunteers must first be cleared. This process can take up to two weeks, so please plan ahead. During especially busy months (historically, September, October and May receive high volumes of applications), it may even take longer to process your application.
Renewing your volunteer status? You need to complete the same steps below.
Please complete the following steps to become an active volunteer:
1. Read: The Volunteer Orientation Training & Handbook
Lockdown/Active Shooter Training Slides
Lockdown/Active Shooter Training
3. Complete the online application. Please do NOT use the web browser Firefox when completing the online application as it isn't always compatible with Google Forms.
4. Share a copy of your valid state ID (either by snapping a photo and emailing it to firstname.lastname@example.org, or scanning, or dropping by the District Office at 8489 Madison Ave.) with the Community Relations Department. We are unable to process passports or IDs not issued by a US state.
5. Volunteering as a driver? Please fill out this form and be sure to include a copy of your car insurance as well as a copy of your driver license.
6. These certain volunteer positions require an additional application and fingerprinting:
- Overnight Chaperones -- please fill out this application and scan and email it to: email@example.com
- Volunteer Coaches -- please ask your head coach or the Athletic Director for an application.
Bainbridge Island Police Department will "take" fingerprints Monday - Friday and appointments are required. Please call 206-842-5211 to schedule an appointment. The prints are transmitted electronically to OSPI for processing. The fee is $55.25 per person. Checks need to be made out to the City of Bainbridge Island. If the person is paying by credit card, an additional $1.66 fee will be applied.
Once the above steps are completed, the Community Relations Department will do a background check and process your application. Once cleared, volunteer terms are valid for two years. Please plan ahead! It can take up to two-three weeks for volunteer applications to be approved.
Wondering if your volunteer term is active? Contact the office manager at your student's school.
Questions about the volunteer approval process? Please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Thank you for making a positive impact on the lives of our students!