The Bainbridge Island School District Professional Development Committee is responsible for establishing the district’s procedures for granting clock hours in accordance with the standards set in WAC 180-85-200. The Clock Hour Approval Committee is responsible for implementing the clock hour program and approval guidelines.
Please submit program proposal forms to the Clock Hour Approval Committee at least 10 business days prior to the program date. The proposal will be reviewed by the committee to assure that standards are met.
For more information regarding clock hour credit, please contact Amy Braswell, Clock Hour Registrar, or the Curriculum Department at the district office.
1. An approved program offering must be a district-sponsored event.
2. An approved program offering must be related to a predetermined need (i.e. district goal, department or school priority, etc.).
3. An approved program offering must be appropriate for continuing professional development of educators.
4. An approved offering must include objectives that express a clear purpose and are consistent with the time and credit allocated.
5. An approved program offering must be a minimum of 3 hours in length, excluding time for meals.
6. The methodology of the program delivery should reflect the elements of effective instruction
7. The Clock Hour Proposal and presenter VITA forms must be submitted to the district’s contact person prior to the established deadlines. Both of these forms are available on the district website under Staff Forms.
8. In addition to a completed Clock Hour Proposal Form, the application must include a Vita of the presenter(s). The Vita Form is sufficient: a resume is not necessary. The Vita Form is requested in lieu of a full resume due to copying and postage costs, as well as available file space.
9. Program proposals must be received by the Curriculum Department at least 10 working days prior to the beginning of the proposed event. Program proposals submitted after the program start date will not be approved.
10. Approval cannot be granted for routine staff meetings such as district, school or department meetings that deal with operational policies or administrative procedures within the district or school.
Clock Hour Application ProceduresGeneral Information
1. Program offerings must be district-sponsored events that have been approved by the Clock Hour Approval Committee prior to the first day of the event.
2. Program proposals must be submitted on an official Bainbridge Island School District Clock Hour Proposal Form found on the district website under “Staff Forms”.
3. Program proposals must be accompanied by a completed Vita Form for the program presenter(s), if one is not already on file in the Curriculum Department of the Bainbridge Island School District. (The Clock Hour Vita form is also available on the district website under “Staff Forms”.)
4. Prior to being submitted to the district Curriculum Department, the proposal must be submitted to the building principal or program supervisor for approval.
5. A completed Clock Hour Proposal Form and Vita Form(s) must be sent to the Curriculum Department in accordance with established timelines: proposals must be received by the Curriculum Department at least 10 business days prior to the first day of a program offering to be certain that the Clock Hour Approval Committee has adequate time to review the proposal and the Curriculum Department has time to prepare clock hour materials and forms.
6. Program offerings must be a minimum of 3 hours duration in order to be eligible for clock hours. Meal time or other recessed time held within a course offering cannot be included in the total clock hours offered.
7. Program offerings are to be credited in increments rounded down to the nearest half-hour
Example: A program lasting 3 hours and 45 minutes will receive 3.5 clock hour credits.
8. Each clock hour offering must be evaluated by all participants using the Bainbridge Island School District’s Electronic Clock Hour Participant Evaluation Process.
9. Clock hours for Bainbridge Island School District employees are offered at no cost. For non-district employees, the cost will be a minimum of $10.00 for 0-5 hours and an additional $2.00 for each clock hour beyond 5 hours. These fees help offset the cost of processing clock hour forms and records.
10. Individuals requesting clock hour approval for an activity will be responsible for:
• advising clock hour attendees during the 1st program session in a series about the clock hours offered,
• ensuring clock hour participants sign the clock hour attendance sheet appropriately, and
• returning the signed completed attendance sheet to the clock hour registrar within 48 hours of the last class in their program.
1. Approval will not be granted for routine staff meetings such as district, school or department meetings that deal with operational policies or administrative procedures within the district or school.
2. After a program/course proposal has been approved, an attendance sheet will be sent electronically to the facilitator/contact person listed on the clock hour course proposal form with instructions to return it signed, dated, and verified within 48 hours of the last class in the program/course. The Clock Hour Registrar will email everyone on the clock hour attendance sheet a clock hour registration form and a link to an online participant evaluation form to complete within 10 days of the clock hour registration email date.